Dental health – for many of us, the topic has an unpleasant flavour. But the path to a gorgeous smile doesn’t have to be painful or expensive, even if it leads you to the dentist. Fortunately, there is a life hack for everything these days.
By following a few basics, you can keep your dentist appointments short and sweet. After all, who likes to lie in the dental chair for hours with their mouth wide open?
1. First things first: Floss. If you skip this step, you leave about 35% of the tooth surface unbrushed – uh oh.
2. Brush twice a day for two minutes. That's right, two minutes are enough. Studies have shown that two minutes of thorough brushing remove the same amount of bacteria and food debris as three minutes.
3. When your toothbrush bristles look like your morning hairdo, it’s high time for a new one. Dentists recommend changing your toothbrush at least every 3 months.
Going to the dentist doesn't have to be stressful and painful. With the right preparation, the treatment room can become a spa. Well, sort of.
4. Did you know that our perception of pain varies considerably throughout the day? We are particularly sensitive in the morning, while in the early afternoon we experience pain less intensely. Anaesthetics also have a longer effect at this time of day. So it is best to schedule your next check-up for 3 pm.
5. Does the mere thought of going to the dentist make you queasy? You’re certainly not the only one! If you are afraid of dentists, simply mention this to the dental team in advance. That way, everyone involved can be more attentive to you and make your visit as pleasant as possible.
6. Before your appointment, listen to music that relaxes and distracts you. Often, your dentist won't mind if you listen to music during your treatment. This way you can block out any unpleasant background noise.
Top tip: On the common streaming services you will find numerous playlists with sounds in 432 hertz. This frequency is said to have a relaxing and calming effect. Breathe in ... and breathe out again.
7. Make an appointment for the next check-up directly after your treatment. Let’s be honest: Most of us feel it’s more of a struggle to phone the dentist than actually going.
It is scientifically proven that beautiful teeth have far more benefits than just good health.
8. If you have nice and healthy teeth, you’re likely to smile more often. And that’s a good thing because smiling causes the brain to produce endorphins. As a result, we feel better and experience less emotional pain.
9. Economists found out a long time ago that employees who are considered attractive earn between 5 % and 15 % more in salary. And what makes us more attractive? You guessed it: a beautiful smile!
10. Love is blind? Experts disagree. After all, your smile is one of the first things that catches the eye of a new acquaintance. Are you searching for the love of your life? Then don’t wait too long with your next visit to the dentist.
Brushing your teeth properly is half the battle. Yet every now and then you may have to undergo dental treatment. Unfortunately, the cost is often not covered at all or only partially by your health insurance. However, you shouldn’t put off going to the dentist because you're afraid of expensive bills.
Here’s the solution: supplementary dental insurance.
It covers the costs of fillings, root canal treatments and even annual dental cleanings. This way, you don't have to compromise when it comes to your dental health.